Enter the Canadian Pacific Railroad (C.P.R.) in 1884 at Sharbot Lake. The C.P.R. would eventually own or control the two rail lines in Sharbot Lake. It officially gained control of the K&P on January 1, 1913.
The other rail line that passed through Sharbot Lake, Ontario was the Ontario and Quebec Railway (OQR) that ran from Perth to Toronto Junction. The OQR rail line was opened on August 15th, 1884, by the C.P.R., under lease for 999 years. The OQR railroad, hereafter, was known as the Ontario section of the Canadian Pacific Railroad. This rail line also passed through the Central Frontenac communities of Mountain Grove and Ardendale (Arden), Ontario.
With the purchase of the Brockville and Ottawa (B&O) rail line that ran from Smiths Falls to Perth, the Havelock Section, as it was called, now ran from Smiths Falls to Havelock, a distance of 109.2 miles. It very quickly became a busy, well-travelled line. In 1898 surveys were completed to assess the feasibility of straightening and widening the line and reducing the grade. Over half of the length of the line would need to be repaired. It was decided to build a new line further south.
This new line, called the Ontario Shore Line, would be built by the CLO&WR (Campbellford, Lake Ontario and Western Railway). Surveying of the line was initiated in 1905 but it wasn’t until May 1912 that grading work commenced. The divisional point chosen for the route was Trenton, Ontario. In 1913, the line was officially leased for a period of 999 years to the C.P.R.
On June, 1914, the Ontario Shore Line was completed from Agincourt to Glen Tay. This rail line is just eight miles south of Sharbot Lake and passes through the Central Frontenac communities of Crow Lake, Tichborne, Parham, Echo Lake and Wilkinson, Ontario.
Following the opening of this new line, the Havelock Subdivision would now run from Glen Tay, Mile 0.0 to Havelock Mile 93.7. The new line became known as the Trenton Subdivision. The Trenton Subdivision was eliminated October 26, 1969 and the line became and still is the Belleville Subdivision.
This photo below, taken in 2017 at Glen Tay, shows the Belleville Sub on the left. In the distance, you can see the Omya plant. The trail on the right is the old Havelock Subdivision Right of Way. This is Mile 0 of the Havelock Subdivision.
Double concrete culvert.
Large concrete culvert.
One of the many HDPG (Half Deck Plate Girder) bridges along the Havelock Subdivision. This one, located just east of Bathurst (Weymss), is at Mile 3.41, and is 20′ long.
There are two more HDPG bridges at Bathurst (Weymss). This one, is at Mile 3.9. The photo faces east toward Perth. The original OQR station was located here. In 1895 it was re-located and a smaller station was built a few hundred feet east.
And this one located at Mile 4.2, looking west. The creek is Rosedale Creek.
Near the Old Brooke Rd. where the rail line just touches McGowan Lake
This 399′, creosoted, ballasted deck, pile trestle AKA the tar bridge, is just east of the village of Sharbot Lake at Mile 20.7. This shot is facing west towards the village. The creek is Briggs’s Creek.
The van at the Rail Park in Sharbot Lake, Mile 21.4.
This 24′ HDPG bridge is located at Mile 22, on the west end of the causeway at Sharbot Lake.
The empty spot on the concrete foundation in the photo above was where the K&P bridge was located. It was a wooden trestle. The year it was removed is not known, possibly when the tracks between Tichborne and Sharbot Lake were torn up in 1964.
Also at Mile 22 is the Wye. The left branch is the Kingston Subdivision (K&P). On the right is the Havelock Subdivision (C.P.R.).
This concrete pedestal can be found just past the Wye on the Havelock Subdivision. It was probably used for a block signal.
Along the track you will see glimpses of the old RoW (Right of Way) fencing. Ties were used as posts.
Another tar bridge, 44′ long, is located at Mile 23.5. It crosses Stone’s Creek. The “pipes” on the side of the deck house fiber optic cables.
Where the Havelock Sub crosses the Brewer Rd., a 42′ 10″ steel trestle can be found at Mile 24. It crosses Banner Creek.
At mile 25, there is 33′ steel HDPG bridge, near the second crossing of the Brewer Rd
The Olden siding is at Mile 27.26. It had a 44 car capacity (2528 feet). Off the siding there was a 335 foot spur with a platform for J. Richardson and Sons.
More to come …. coming up next, Mountain Grove and Ardendale which will take us up to the edge of Central Frontenac.