You may not realize it, but the last section between Kingston and Tichborne, Ontario, of the old K&P line, called the CP Kingston Subdivision, lasted until October 10th, 1986. A way freight ran twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays) from Smiths Falls to Kingston and return. In later years it ran twice a month and return. Below is what we believe is a list of trains that ran in the latter part of 1985 and in 1986 from Smiths Falls to Kingston, Ontario.
|05-22-1986||CP 1816 ?|
On April 1st and April 2nd, 1985, vehicles of the 1st Canadian Signal Regiment of Barriefield, Ontario were loaded onto flat cars of two Canadian Pacific Railway freight trains at Dalton Street, Kingston, Ontario. The vehicles were on their way to Wainright, Alberta to take part in a military exercise. The consist of each train was 56 flat cars, a van and two diesel locomotives. The trains followed the last existing part of the old K&P line on route to Tichborne, Ontario. At Tichborne, Ontario, the trains switched onto the Belleville Subdivision, CP’s main line, and continued on to Smiths Falls, Ontario.
Photographs document some of this journey. All the photographs were taken by Wilfrid MacDonald Coombe. His entire collection of 600 photographs, mostly of the K&P, has been donated to the Central Frontenac Railway Society in Sharbot Lake, Ontario by his nephew, Eldon Coombe. The photos are being digitized and eventually will be shared for all to see. Here are a few.
When the military exercise was over, on June 24th and June 25th, the two trains left Kingston, empty, returning to Smiths Falls. The following photos were taken June 25th, 1985. The engines are CP 8798 and CP 1816.
The train is waiting to switch onto the Belleville subdivision at Tichborne, Ontario, headed for Smiths Falls, Ontario.
The train gets the light and switches onto the Belleville subdivision at Tichborne, Ontario. Next stop, MF (Smiths Falls).