Train Wrecks

There have been several train wrecks or accidents near or in Sharbot Lake over the years. Here are a few.

Perth Courier 11 May 1877

FATAL ACCIDENT – SHARBOT LAKE – A serious accident occurred on Thursday night, 3rd May, a little way beyond Sharbot Lake, on the extension of the Kingston & Pembroke Railway. A man named Chauncey Benton, while riding on a car loaded with rail iron, by some means got thrown off, and, falling in front of the car, was run over. His back and legs were badly injured, and though Dr. Sullivan went out next afternoon to render all the assistance in his power, the man died of his injuries, and his body was conveyed to Kingston next day.

Transcribed by Colin Churcher.

You can read more here:

Train Wreck April 1879 on the K&P

An accident was reported by the Whig, April 23, 1879, page 3, column 3. Thanks to Andrew Jeanes for the news articles. It gave us a date for the wreck. It was missing on the photo of the picture below.


Here’s a photo of a watercolour sketch donated by Bill and Sally Madden from New Jersey we believe documents the wreck. It is labelled “Acident [sic] to mail train no 1 on the morning of April 22th on Summit Grade. K & P RR”.

If you look closely you can see the engine is the T.M. Carswell, K. & P. R. 2.

What was Summit Grade? Where was Summit Grade? The highest point on the K&P between Kingston and Mississippi? That would be near Oso as Andrew Jeanes has pointed out.

It’s possible the train wreck could have happened at Sharbot Lake or Twin Lakes. The photos taken recently don’t really support this. The track bed is very high compared to the sketch at Twin Lakes.

Twin Lakes

Twin Lakes

There is one possible place, maybe two, at Sharbot Lake in the Upper end of the lake where the rail bed runs right along the lake and close to a stream.

Sharbot Lake

Sharbot Lake

Sharbot Lake, Upper End

December 3, 2019 – 1879 Train Wreck Update

Andrew Jeanes found an interesting article from the Daily British Whig describing the state of the Kingston and Pembroke Railway in early 1882. In this article, sketches are mentioned “by the pencil of a citizen named Brown” documenting an early train wreck.

Andrew notes “the train wreck is said in the article to have been “near Robertsville Station,” which likely means the summit at mile 55.8 from Kingston (roughly mile 47.7 measured from Renfrew), 781 feet above sea level. This is about eight miles further north than Gene Kirkham and I had guessed when we were talking about this wreck in 2018.”

The following maps provided by Andrew, showing the location.

The search for the location continues …….

Below is the article kindly transcribed by Andrew.

British Whig, 5 Jan 1882, p3 c5

Railway Matters.
The K. & P. R.R. Extension Completed—The Line to Ottawa—Fine Reading Room—Other Items.

The track on the K. & P. RR., extension has been completed as far as the Company intend to run down this season. The new line is about eleven miles in length and it is said to be in fine condition. Workmen are now laying the track on the branch line to the Levant mine, three quarters of a mile.

The cold wave will probably cause a cessation of work. We also understand that a gang of men are employed in ballasting certain spots on the main line that require repair. The Government Inspector will be along shortly and when his report has been transmitted to the Government, then in all probability trains will be run regularly over the extension. For the present a great amount of freight cannot be carried over it. The ore at the Levant and other mines has been heaped up for several years awaiting transit. This will be shipped to the city, and there is enough of it to keep from eight to ten cars daily in use for the next three months. The Caldwells and the Bethlehem Iron Company, of Pennsylvania, have several mines open.

Pushing On The Line.

The K. & P. Railway has never been in a more prosperous condition and the outlook is very bright and promising. Last year’s business, we are credibly informed, nearly doubled that of the year before. There is every prospect of the near completion of the road to Renfrew. And by the way we learn that the surveyors are busily engaged in locating the line from the Clyde to the Madawaska, under the direction of Mr. T.L. Nash, [sic] and in all probability before 1885 the K. & P. RR. will be linked with the Canada Pacific Railway.

The line from Sharbot Lake to Perth will be pushed ahead as rapidly as possible, and by this time next year Kingstonians can leave the city in the morning and be in the Capital before noon. The railroads from Brockville and Prescott to Ottawa will undoubtedly feel the competition, as for passengers and freight business the shortest route will be most popular. From Kingston to Brockville, distance of 48 miles, and to Prescott 60 miles, can be saved by using the new line. The Rideau Canal boating trade will also be slightly affected but not materially, as coarse freights can be more cheaply carried by barges. The ore from around Ottawa may also be brought via Kingston for shipment, owing to our excellent harbor facilities, as when the shoals have been removed vessels of deep draught can always be accommodated here.

Employees’ Reading Room.

In speaking of railway matters we must not omit to refer to the K. & P. RR. reading rooms, which are located in an upper room in the railroad building. A Whig reporter dropped in recently and found it a cosy place in which the employees can pass their leisure hours. The floor of the room is covered with matting, a “Splendid” coal stove throws out a comfortable heat, upon the walls are hung pictures, such as have an especial interest for railroad men, several being photographs of the engines now in service on the line. Sketches of the disaster that occurred some years ago near Robertsville Station, at a point called “Dead Man’s Grave,” particularly took the eye of the visitor. The accident was the worst that has occurred on the road, and was caused by the embankment being washed out. The scenes have been vividly pourtrayed [sic] by the pencil of a citizen named Brown.

Many other drawings, representing scenes along the line of the K. & P. RR., are on exhibition, the work of that skillful artist, Mr. Arthur Moore, formerly of this city but now of Rochester, N.Y. Upon the tables are to be found the leading daily papers of Canada, the finest mechanical and railway papers and magazines published in the United States, and other literature which seems to be well perused. There is also a small library, containing some 200 volumes.

The officials of the reading room are desirious [sic] of having a better book depository, but do not feel justified in making a great expenditure of money for the purpose; rather they rely upon the generosity of their friends for contributions. Of course annually some money is expended in purchasing standard works. The room is much frequented by the employees. Persons waiting for the trains are always made welcome. The Whig is regularly on file and is much read.

A Flourishing Association.

The Benefit Association of the employees is in a flourishing condition. Nearly $900 was received in the past year from the member and many benefits paid out. The annual meeting occurs next Wednesday, when a new President well [sic] be elected in place of Mr. W.H. Carnovsky, who is now Superintendent of the Bay of Quinte RR.

There are only two trains running each way on the K. & P. RR. at present, the midnight train having been cancelled for the winter.

Conductor Coon is now doing service in the office of the Secretary Treasurer, Mr. G. Osborne.

O&Q recorded its first accidents in 1883

From the book the Ontario and Quebec Railway by Donald M. Wilson.

“O&Q recorded its first accidents in 1883. When an employee fell between the engine and coal bins at Sharbot Lake, injuring his sides and arms. Another employee fell between the cars while attempting to board a moving train and was severely injured. Again, at Sharbot Lake, a non-employee walking on the tracks was killed by a ballast train. This man, according to the report was quite deaf.”

Weekly British Whig, 22 Nov 1883, p4 c2 c4

“A despatch from Sharbot Lake says: While a man named Chapman, a farmer here, and formerly a resident of Wolfe Island, was walking along the new track of the O. & Q. RR. in this village, this morning, he was struck by the train and instantly killed. Chapman was about 65 years of age and leaves a very large family. He was well known and respected in Kingston and vicinity. This is the first accident that has occurred on the new road. The deceased was in Kingston yesterday and went out with Conductor Coon on the afternoon train. He was quite deaf. There is little doubt that his misfortune in this regard lead to his death. He was a steady, sober man and his death will be regretted.”

Link and transcription provided by Andrew Jeanes.

October 15, 1885 – Accident on the K.P. near Sharbot Lake

In the Perth Expositor of October 15, 1885: “MOSS – General News – A brakeman named MOSS was killed on the K. & P.R., near Sharbot Lake on Sunday morning.  He must have fallen between the cars.  When found he was cut in two below the abdomen.  A year ago, and at the same place, Moss’s brother was killed on the same line.”

The man mentioned was Joseph Moss. The accident occurred October 11th, 1885.

Contributed by Cheryl Moss.

09/07/1896 Kingston Daily British Whig

 Last night an engine of the Kingston & Pembroke Railway Co’s was run on the turn table at Sharbot Lake, when the timbers gave way letting the engine into the pit. A special train was sent out with workmen and this morning rails were laid into the hole and the engine hauled out. The locomotive was uninjured. Kingston (CP) Sharbot Lake.

Transcribed by Colin Churcher.

1898, March 17 – Derailment at Sharbot Lake

Chesterville Record 17 March 1898

A Canadian Pacific passenger train of four coaches was derailed about three miles east of Sharbot Lake on Saturday morning about 10.40 o’clock.  A sprung rail was the cause of the accident.  The engine and the fore truck of the tender did not leave track and the baggage car held to the ties, but the passenger coaches were overturned and thrown into the ditch.  The coaches were considerably damaged and the track, ties and railbed were torn up for a distance of two hundred yards.  Nobody was hurt.  There were twenty passengers on the train, most of whom were were in the coach behind the baggage car.  This coach was thrown on its side and brought up against a large boulder.  Sir Frank Smith and Senator Lougheed were the only passengers in the rear car and, although badly shaken up, escaped uninjured.

Aug-13-1903 – the Wreck at Sharbot Lake 

Thanks to Andrew Jeanes for providing this news article from the Ottawa Journal Friday Aug-14-1903.


Two Freights Collided. The Story of Mr. M. Avery, M.P., of Sharbot Lake.

The wreck on the C.P.R. two miles west of Sharbot Lake yesterday morning caused eight hours delay to the train to the Toronto train due here at five o’clock in the morning and was also responsible for the death of Engineer Patrick Hallinan of Smiths Falls and Brakeman John Forsyth of Havelock. Hallinan is a married man with a wife and four children and Forsyth also leaves a widow and one or two children.

Mr. M. Avery, M.P., of Sharbot Lake, who was at the scene of the accident yesterday, arrived in the city last evening and gave the Journal an account of the accident as he saw it. He said that a light engine left Sharbot to go to Havelock about two o’clock on Thursday morning and when about two miles west of the Sharbot Lake station collided with the freight train coming east. The collision would have been much more disastrous had both trains been loaded, but as it was the light engine was driven back about one hundred yards from the point where they collided. The engines telescoped each other. The engineer and fireman on the light engine jumped before they struck and thus avoided being seriously injured. The engineer on the light train succeeded in slowing down so that the wheels were skidding on the rails at the time of the collision.

This was due to the fact that the engine of the east bound freight train was equipped with an electric headlight and could be seen a much greater distance than the one on the light engine, which was of the ordinary type. The engineer of the freight train apparently did not see the other engine until he was almost on top of it and then with a heavy train behind him it was impossible to slow down. When the smoke had cleared away the lever was found reversed, Hallinan apparently having done his best stop the train. He had also seemed to have left his throttle to jump, as he was thrown out of the fireman’s side of the cab. Hallinan when found was very badly mangled. His arms and legs were both broken and his ribs crushed in. Forsyth, the brakeman, who had taken the fireman’s place to let the latter go back to the caboose as he was not well was almost cut in half. He was caught in the cab and pinned against the firebox door. He was literally sizzled as well as being badly cut and bruised.

A peculiar feature of the wreck, Mr. Avery says was the fact that the engine did not leave the road bed. They both left the track but were locked solidly in each other’s embrace and standing up. The first four cars of the train telescoped and their contents were badly scattered about. Two of the wrecked cars contained refrigerated beef and one of the others was loaded with butter. The beef was not badly damaged but the butter was very much messed about. The total loss, outside of the two lives and the engines would not be heavy. The engines were almost a complete wreck.

The track for about five or six cars was torn up so that a train could not pass over it. Consequently, the passengers on the east and west bound express trains had to transfer from one train to the other. The delay caused by the wreck was about five hours at Sharbot Lake, but there was a great deal of delay between these stations and the destination of the trains: due to the extra trains which run out to clear up the debris put the track in shape. The freight train, with exception of the first four cars, did not leave the track.

There were a great many people on the train coming east for Ottawa. Among them were Messrs. Ed. Clarke, M.P., Rufus Pope, M.P., Controller Oliver of Toronto, J. Kendry, M.P., and others. The members were all coming down to hear Mr. Sifton’s speech on the railway bill but missed it. They had all been in Toronto yesterday for the big demonstration which was held there. All of them told the same story of the wreck as Mr. Avery. They were asleep when the train stopped and did not know there was a train wreck ahead until they were wakened to make the transfer. Mr. Avery came in on last evening’s train, which was about two hours late. He helped the undertaker from Kingston to fix up the bodies of the dead men for their shipment to their homes.

The cause of the wreck is attributed by some of those who were on the passenger train to the operator at Sharbot Lake allowing the light engine to pull out without taking proper precautions with regard to the freight which is on the way from the station above.

June 10th, 1904 – Fatal accident between Olden and Sharbot Lake, on
the C. P. R.


Last summer, in an attempt to save his employer’s property from
damage, Mr. William C. Tennant, B.A.’Sc., one of the School’s most
promising graduates, lost his life. At the time of the accident he was
engaged in re-aligning the track between Olden and Sharbot Lake, on
the C. P. R., and it was when returning from work on the evening of
June 10th, 1904, that a train overtook the hand-car on which he and
two of his men were travelling. To save his instrument, Mr. Tennant
jumped; the men, in attempting to move the car off the track, lost
their footing on a pile of ballast; Mr. Tennant risked giving the car
a final push and was killed instantly by the locomotive.
Mr. Tennant was born in Toronto and received his first training
in the city’s public schools. From Harbord Collegiate Institute he
matriculated in 1896, and commenced the study of arts at University
College. Civil engineering had. now begun to attract his attention,
with the result that the year 1897 saw him enrolled at the School of
Science. In 1900 he graduated, and the following year pursued post
graduate work to round off his college career and more fully equip
him for his profession.

It was not until April, 1904, that he entered the employ of the
C. P. R., his previous experience being, for the most part, in connection with
radial railroad enterprises.

Thoroughness was evidenced in all Mr. Tennant’s undertakings;
the care and attention to detail which characterized his work aroused
admiration in all with whom he came in contact. His generosity to-
wards and. his readiness to assist anyone in need, were such that his
own convenience invariably made way for the benefit of others; but
beyond the circle of his own family and a few personal friends, this
self-effacement passed unperceived. A quiet, unassuming nature, and
an apparent unresponsiveness prevented his becoming, in the usually
accepted sense of the word, a popular man; but if he did make friends
slowly, he at least made the friendship fast. May not the vision of
such a character have inspired the greatest of dramatists when he
wrote :

“The friends thou hast and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel.”


1912, October 22 – Train Wreck at Sharbot Lake 

The following two photos show two views of the cleanup.

Photo courtesy of Betty Wing.

Photo courtesy of Betty Wing.

Thanks to Andrew Jeanes for providing these news articles from the Montreal Gazette, 21 Oct 1912 p15 c7 and the Ottawa Journal, 22 Oct 1912 p11 c2.

21/10/1912 Montreal Gazette

Conductor killed. Kingston ON. October 19th. Conductor William Green of Havelock met death near Sharbot Lake at an early hour this morning when a Canadian Pacific Railway freight of which he was in charge was jammed by another train. Green was standing on the rear platform, his train being stalled, when the train behind crashed into him.

Transcribed by Colin Churcher.

22/10/1912 Ottawa Journal

June 26th, 1913 – Echo Lake Explosion

Echo Lake is located between Parham and Wilkinson on the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Belleville Subdivision. The accident occurred between Echo Lake and Wilkinson in which ten workers, mostly Italian immigrant workers, were killed during a blasting operation. The exact cause of the blast was never determined.

The men killed, identified as Michael Guirrey, Sus Joseppi, Codoni Bernaldi Alphonso, Vittorio Dall Antonio, Antonio Pittuelo, Luigi Pittuelo, Secrete Scilotti, Giovanni Fraccaro, Guiseppe Beninca, and Primo Giello, died instantly. Several others were injured.

They are buried in a corner of the Chippewa cemetery where, in 1990, a memorial was unveiled to commemorate their deaths.

More on the memorial can be found here:

Historical Atlas

May 8th, 1916 – Train Ditched Near Sharbot Lake

Ottawa Journal 9 May 1916


C.P.R. Announces Names of Passengers Hurt When Train Ditched Near Sharbot Lake

Five Ottawans and four others were injured, though not seriously, when two day coaches and a sleeper of the west-bound C.P.R. Montreal-Toronto train were derailed at 2:30 yesterday morning near Sharbot Lake.

The sleeper after leaving the rails turned over on its side in a ditch but the two day coaches, although they left the rails remained upright. The train was not travelling at a high rate of speed at the time and this is taken as one explanation as to why more serious consequences did to attend the derailment.

The official list of Ottawans injured given out by the C.P.R. is as follows. Mr. C. A. Connolly, 366 Waverly St., knee and ankle cut. Mr. Arthur Gibson, Holbrooke Apartments, shoulder injured. Mr. J.H. McLaren, room 310 Booth building, shaken up. Mr. J. Mederic Lavoie, 172 Rideau Street, cut on back of head. Mr. E.H. Hebert, 28 Ottawa Street, back injured. Others who received injuries are Joseph Gibson, Ingersoll, right hip injured. Mrs. W.J. Duncan, Toronto, side and hip hurt. Captain Hutt, 97th Battalion, Toronto, arm and leg hurt. G.F. Graham, 86th Battalion Hamilton, back and side injured.

So far as could be ascertained today all of the Ottawans in the wreck continued on their journey. The first notification of the accident was received in Ottawa from Mr. M.J. Lavoie, who was on his way to Goderich with Mr. Pharano of Hull. The notification was to the effect that Mr. Lavoie was not badly injured and was continuing his journey.  Mrs. Arthur Gibson also received a telegraphic message from her husband who is chief Dominion Assistant entomologist, to the effect that he had not been seriously injured in that the derailment and was proceeding on his way to Strathroy. When news of the accident reached Perth and Smith’s Falls doctors were sent out and rendered whatever medical aid was required.

You can read more of Captain Graham’s story here:

Captain Thomas Fleck Graham

Toronto Star May 8, 1916


Toronto People Slightly Injured in Wreck Near Sharbot Lake


Mrs. W.J. Duncan, 75 Prince Arthur Avenue, Toronto, slightly bruised.
Dr. T.F. Graham, Hamilton, injured back and inside
J.M. McLaren, Ottawa, cheek bone and right hand cut
J.M. Levoie, Ottawa, head cut
Capt. Hutt, American legion, right arm sprained

The C.P.R. train leaving Ottawa last night at 11:10 o’clock and due to arrive in Toronto at 7:30 this morning, was wrecked about a mile east of Sharbot Lake (near Perth) at 2:15 this morning. Three Pullman coaches on which there were many Toronto and Ottawa passengers, left the track and rolled down a 20-foot embankment. A fourth coach was prevented from leaving the track by striking a rock projection in a rock cut about 100 yards west of the wrecked coaches. All the passengers on the wrecked Pullmans miraculously escaped injury, and the prompt assistance of conductor J.E. Elliott, conductor Angus Carmichael and the porters was the means of releasing the passengers from their positions of imprisonment in the wrecked coaches.
Rail Broke, Caused Wreck.
The cause of the wreck was a broken rail about a mile and a quarter mile east of Sharbot Lake. When the second Pullman coach jumped the track, it was fully a quarter of a mile east of where the engine was brought to a standstill. There were four Pullman coaches, one first class coach, a baggage car and a mail car on the train. The baggage and mail cars and the first-class coach with the engine did not leave the rails. The first Pullman coach would have left the rails if the rear end had not collided with a projecting rock just east of where the three rear Pullman coaches rolled down the embankment. The rear truck had left the rails before the cut was reached, and the front truck would also have left the rails if the car has not been thrown over on the roadbed by the collision with the rock. On this car there were several of the representatives of the Dominion Alliance, who were returning from a field Sunday’s work in Ottawa and surrounding district. In the party were Joseph Gibson, Ingersoll, Rev. Ben. H. Spence, D.A. McDermid, J. Bailey, Thos. Yellowlees, Rev. Dr. John Ross, Rev. W.A. Campbell and Rev. P.M. McDonald, Toronto. As a car in which the temperance workers were traveling did not entirely leave the rails, none of them suffered more than a good shaking up.
Coaches Turned Over
The passengers in the three Pullman coaches are congratulating themselves upon their miraculous escape from death. Two of these coaches were turned completely over, while the third was standing and an angle of 50 degrees with the front-end at the foot of the embankment and the rear-end pointed towards

Continued on page three 3


(Continued from Page One.)

the rocks half way up the embankment.

When the second Pullman coach left the rails, the wheels kept about 10 inches to the south on the south side of the respective rails, and kept to the road bed for 300 or 400 yards when it swerved to the south, pulling the two following coaches with it over the embankment.

Ex-controller Thompson was on the first coach to leave the rails, and in describing the accident states that he was aroused from sleep by the bouncing of the car over the ties. He recognized at once that the car was off the rails. A few moments elapsed and he felt the car lean over on the south side. It had only gone a few more yards when suddenly it rolled over stopped at the foot of the embankment. There were no lights in the car. Passengers could heard be calling to each other.
Mr. Simpson’s Story
“As the car rolled over I was expecting to be crushed but I merely slid to the side of the car and did not feel the slightest pressure from the berths that followed from to the other side of the car,” said Mr. Simpson. “I was just beginning to grope for freedom when I heard a passenger moving above me. I asked him if he was hurt and he replied that he was alright. The passenger was J.H. McLaren, an electrical engineer of Ottawa. He immediately began to break the glass in the window above me, and as he was doing so I heard the groans of a passenger about two berths from where I was. This was Dr. T.F. Graham, of the 86th Machinegun Section, Hamilton, Ont. He had been pinned between the lower birth in which he was sleeping and the lower part of the upper berth. He called for help, but as he was calling he was making a desperate effort to relieve himself. He had sustained injury to his back and side, but with the assistance of one of his fellow passengers and Conductor Elliot, he was able to crawl along the upturned car to the entrance.

“To get out of the car, the passengers had either to climb through the windows above their heads or crawl along the passage that have been formed between the upper berths and the roof of the car, then along the narrow passage on the side of the smoking apartment until the entrance to the car was reached. In the wreck the swing door between the smoking apartment pending car had been jammed and it was great difficulty that it was forced open. The heavy door leading from the platform to the interior of the car had also been closed but it was forced upward and held by the clamp above it.

“Conductor Elliot had to urge the passengers to leave the upturned car as soon as they could get out. He had extinguished a small blaze at the end of one of the cars and was afraid that more serious fires might break out. After considerable urging, the passengers began leave the cars in their night robes, and wrapped up in blankets that could be released from the wreck. They were directed to the Pullman coach that was half on the rails and half on the roadbed.”

A. Monro Grier, K.C., of Toronto, accepted the situation philosophically, and, wrapped in the car blankets, seated himself between the rails from which the Pullman coaches have been hurled down the embankment. Mr. Grier stayed in that position until his clothes were extracted from the wreck.

Mrs. Duncan was assisted from the upturned coach to the coach that had only partly left the tracks. She was provided with blankets from one of the coaches and, apart from the fright and only a few bruises, did not suffer seriously. Her clothes were soon found in the upturned car, and within half an hour after the wreck, she chatted freely with the passengers about her trying experience.

Ex-controller Simpson was able to get out of the car without assistance, and to protect his bare feet from the cinders on the track, walked on one of the rails from the wreck to the Pullman coach that he escaped the wreck. He was provided with a suit of clothes by one of the passengers, and returned to the wreck where he succeeded in finding all his belongings. He afterwards assisted the other passengers in their effort to find their missing clothes and valuables.
Those Slightly Injured
J.M. McLaren sustained a slight cut on the cheek-bone and a few cuts on his right hand in his successful effort to fight his way to freedom through one of the car windows.

J. Mederic Lavoie, of Ottawa, sustained a deep cut on the back of the head but was able to walk around and chat freely with the passengers.

Sergt. Rutherford, of the 2nd Field Company, first contingent, who lives in Brampton, was a passenger on one of the up-turned coaches. He just crossed the Atlantic on the steamer Corinthian and stated that he was on a leave of absence, following actual service in France. He was in the battles of Ypres, La Chapelle and Givenchy, and was injured with a waggon wheel in the battle of Ypres. Commenting on his experience, Sergt. Jim Rutherford said it would have been a strange fate if he had evaded German bullets to succumb to a railway accident in Canada on his way home on leave of absence. He said he would return to France June 1.
Two Slept Through
The passengers of the “turtled” Pullman cars could not refrain from laughter as they heard of the experience of C. Calvin, a law student of Kingston, who has just passed through the examinations at Osgoode Legal School. The jarring of the Pullman car as it pounded over the ties, the swerving and rolling of the car and the calls of the passengers did not arouse young Calvin from his slumbers, and it was only when he felt a fellow passenger walking over his feet that he aroused himself to the danger he was in. His slumber, however, saved him the experience of a fright as the upturned car had ceased its motion when he woke.

Sergt. Rutherford had a similar experience to that of young Calvin. He did not realize the danger he had encountered until it was all over.

Captain Hutt of the American Legion, was not quite as fortunate at some of his fellow-passengers. In the turning over of the coach in which he was sleeping his right arm was forced through one of the coach windows and sustained a sprain that was rather painful. This injury, however, was not serious. He was able to hold it up without the help of a sling.

Mrs. Duncan of Toronto who was the only lady passenger on the train, intended to stay a week longer in Ottawa but grek? homesick for her two children and decided to return home last night. The change in plans almost lead to a serious accident. She was congratulated by Conductor Elliot and the passengers upon the courageous manner in which she passed through her trying experience.

Mr. Thomas Yellowlees, the well-known Sunday school worker, was in one of the wrecked coaches. He had received a hurry call while addressing a meeting in the interests of the Dominion Alliance in the vicinity of Ottawa. News had reached home that his son, who was one of the administrators with the base hospital staff of the University of Toronto at Solaniki, had met with a “serious accident.” (The son, Dr. Norman Yellowlees was announced drowned to-day). Mr. Yellowlees had engaged two motor cars in order that he might catch the 11.10 train at Ottawa. The wreck, however, delayed his arrival in Toronto, about fine hours.


Mrs. W.J. Duncan 75 Prince Arthur avenue, Toronto.
A. Munro Grier, K.C., Toronto.
Ex-controller James Simpson, 129 Indian road, Toronto.
D.H. Reynolds, traveling immigration inspector.
Capt. C.M. Ingle, inspection staff of Paymaster-General, Ottawa.
Arthur Gibson, Department of Agriculture, Ottawa.
J.H. McLaren, electrical engineer, Ottawa.
Milton E. Rous, of Lowe-Martin Co., Limited, Library Bureau Systems.
J. Mederic Lavoie. cigar manufacturer, Ottawa.
J.H. Hebert, commercial traveler, Ottawa.
Dr. T.F. Graham, 86th Machine Gun Section, Hamilton, Ontario.
C.H. Keeling, Ottawa.
Dr. T.D. Higgerson, Ottawa.
W.D. Matthews, Ottawa.
D.A. McDermid, Toronto.
J. Bailey, Toronto.
Jos. Gibson, postmaster, Ingersoll, Ontario.
Thomas Yellowlees, Toronto.
Dr. John Ross, Presbyterian minister, Toronto.
Rev. Ben H. Spence, Toronto.
Rev. W. A. Campbell, Toronto.
Rev. P.M. McDonald, Toronto.
C. Calvin, law student, Kingston, Ontario.
A. G. James, Ottawa.
Captain W.M. Hutt, quartermaster-sergeant, 97th Battalion, Toronto.
Sergt. Rutherford, Brampton.

Train Wreck in Glen Tay – 1925

Sixteen people were slightly injured, one seriously, when a C.P.R train crashed head-on into a waiting freight train at Glen Tay.

Train Wreck – Glen Tay 1942

This photo is from the Scouts Canada National Museum, Ottawa

This train wreck occurred in Glen Tay in 1942. Nine passengers and three train crew members were injured slightly early today when a fast freight train collided with the Montreal – Toronto express at Glen Tay station in Lanark County.

From the Ottawa Journal  23 March 1971

A Laxative Lagoon
TICHBORNE, Ont. (CP) Service was expected to be regular again today on the CP Rail line through here following a derailment Monday that dumped thousands of gallons of laxative near a swampy area.
The Ontario Water Resources Commission was investigating whether the milk of magnesia magnesia would affect wildlife In the area, 30 miles north of Kingston.

Ottawa Journal Monday 5 July 1976

30 rail cars jump track near Perth
PERTH (Special) No one was injured when 30 cars of a 94-car CP freight train were derailed near here about midnight
Perth OPP said a “hot box” in one of the cars caused the derailment. A hot box occurs when the gears overheat and jam causing the wheels to seize.
Damage to the rail line is extensive, police said. The line will be closed for at least 24 hours until heavy equipment equipment can clear the debris.

Train Wreck – Weymss, 1979

Ottawa Citizen –  20 September 1979 – Train wreck on the Belleville Subdivision near Weymss, Ontario. The train hit a tractor-trailer just where the cab joins the rear section. The train’s 24 cars were strung along a 360-metre stretch of track. Some were piled 15 metres high.

Train Wreck near Sharbot Lake – 1986

Photo taken by Wilfrid Coombe

Photo taken by Wilfrid Coombe

Ottawa Citizen –  January 2, 1986

A 90-car freight train derailed in an isolated area near Sharbot Lake Tuesday, spilling a dangerous chemical that could have caused an evacuation in a populated area.